vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Firmly anti-smart assistant other than built in Siri which you can’t really avoid in your watch/phone. I specifically ordered the ecobee 3 so it wouldn’t have Alexa built in..
I have Siri set up to only be activated by button press, not by the "Hey Siri" wake word or by lifting my wrist. Last thing I want is for someone to put a megaphone up to one of my windows and say "hey siri, unlock the front door" when I'm not home.

I did pick up an Echo Dot with Alexa when they were on Black Friday sale a few years ago, solely to evaluate the platform from a developer's perspective. It had a few different wake words to choose from, so I picked "computer" instead of "Alexa" to keep TV shows from ordering me doll houses. Problem was that I could no longer watch Star Trek, since the Enterprise also used "computer" as its wake word. One episode enabled self-destruct mode, where Alexa started rambling a news article until I yanked the power and sent Alexa to meet HAL after only three days.

Anyway, since I have both "day" and "night" Apple Watches and my DW has one as well, I have all of the home automations set up to be triggered by Siri on our watches.....