View Single Post
      01-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #36
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
My wife bought a 2004 Rav4 brand new before we met, in 2008 with 95k miles on the car the cylinder head lifted from the block and the motor was toast. I am in the auto repair industry, so i looked up TSB from Toyota. They stated that on the 2.4L engines from 2004-2006 the cylinder head bolts may have been over torqued, causing them to eventually lift from the block. BUT they were not going to recall the engines, its the customers problem. Dumped that car and bought my wife an e90, then an x5. I will never buy another Toyota ever again.
Horror stories exist for every brand as you know being in the industry. Perceptions tend to be extreme in the auto business, at least with many people. In other words if you think Toyota is reliable, nothing will change your mind. If you think they're built well, nothing will change your mind. If you think Euro brands are trash? You won't change your mind. At least most won't. Some of the impressions are so engrained in how people think that it takes years for those perceptions to move.