View Single Post
      07-03-2023, 08:05 AM   #33
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
It depends a lot on the position, as well as the person.

A lot of positions can be done 100% remote, but obviously jobs requiring a physical task at a particular site cannot be done remotely.

The whole "people work in the office better" idea is bullshit. Those who screw off at home usually screw off and are distracted easily at work, especially if they are talking to other coworkers or surfing the web.

My philosophy is that as long as the work is getting done, and there is enough of a presence in the office for anyone onsite to be getting the assistance they need, a hybrid schedule is easily doable for my particular field (University IT). I just request that staff provide me with a weekly update of tasks they have completed. It's quite easy to see if people are doing their work or not, especially with MS Teams and ticketing systems allowing you to reach out to people when needed or see if they are online. Staff are either productive go-getters, or they aren't. The weekly update keeps those in check who are on the fence, but for the most part everyone does pretty well. I also find that staff are more willing to step up to the plate during crisis situations knowing that they have flexibility outside of those times. Obviously there are some who take advantage, but they don't last long in this environment, since the others care about keeping their flexibility.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615505.00