06-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I am not saying that it's impossible for this to be a software issue. But if this is an issue to be corrected by a software update to our cars (let's define THAT as a "software issue"), one would have expected way way way more such misalignment reports than we've heard here (and there have been some assertion that we're a whiny bunch, so then for sure we would have had way more such reports — like all of us here- type of more).

Disagree? If so, I am still curious regarding the theory of operation of this alleged software defect that fits these observations.
1. Many cars don't have 3D surround view.

2. Some consumers don't realize/notice the issue

3. Some don't care

4. Some don't have a personality style to complain

5. Some don't visit forums

6. Maybe BMW/ODM software team has made changes to the camera module software and made it's worse/better in some iStep versions. So, maybe not everyone is impacted same. Keep in mind BMW may have made other car design changes they thought wouldn't impact the cameras, but maybe they did.

Nevertheless, it's 99% a software issue. The module is what it is. It's a Renesas DSP with the associated glue logic and the rest is software implementation.

If you want to better understand the theory of what causes this type of issue, I'd direct you to a course on digital ISP/DSP and implementation in a 3D environment.

Last edited by claykin; 06-15-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 1