View Single Post
      03-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #15
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
So the pressure is on, my girlfriend of three years is waiting (impatiently) for the proposal. We have a good conversation about it, and are on the same page. Something I have been considering for a while. We begin discussing rings and expectations. Now she comes from a relatively wealthy family- always had wealthy friends, expensive taste. Her best friend got married last year and she mentioned that her ring was $50k. That's completely overkill and absurd to me, just absolutely insane. I know the rule of thumb has supposedly been about three months pay, but even that is pretty far less than what her expectations are. For those of you who are married/engaged, can you ballpark me about how much you spent? Either in cash or in an amount relative to income.
If the "value" of the ring is that important to her.....like others have said.....you may want to take some more time and be certain about her. Would she still marry you if you gave a $200 ring and said i love you but this is all i can afford right now? Would she be just as excited about that to all of her friends? You get the point. Past that, if she is the right girl for you, then buy what you can afford and what you think is reasonable; not what any rules or opinions say.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0