View Single Post
      03-06-2021, 09:58 PM   #30
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Another chapter....

Not that anyone is particularly interested but here goes....

So it’s a bit unusual in my case because growing up in the 80s and being a young (and irresponsible) adult in college and graduating and being in the Seattle scene as I mentioned at the beginning where there were almost competing spheres of music in my life. On one hand the grunge scene erupted in the early 90s so I was very much into all the popular bands and sometimes dressed accordingly complete with flannel shirts, worn jeans, black boots (Dr. Martens which were versatile), old t-shirts, etc. Frequented the numerous bars and live houses, accordingly. At the same time there were a ton of underground alternative bands out of the UK that I really enjoyed which was quite different from my local scene. I even got into a number of what were called “shoe gazing” bands (Slowdive, Ride, Chapterhouse, Swervedriver, Lush, etc.). Fortunately I had a couple of friends that were also into that stuff.

On the extreme opposite end of the spectrum was the emergence or popularity of rave music (where I lived) and all the variants of this wide ranging scene like techno, acid house, electronica, etc.. I have some very good memories (and a few lost ones) of the rave days and thoroughly enjoyed the underground warehouse parties that were sometimes limited to people with connections who were deeply entrenched in this bizarre world of eclectic and esoteric fantasy worlds of deep thumping bass you could feel in your bones, 808 drum beats, piano stabs, heavily modulated voices, shaking the foundation while scantily clothed women danced like they were possessed inside of cages of various sizes and heights (elevated). The lasers, video loops, fog, and overall vibe of these places made you feel like you were in another universe. There was one event I attended that had DJs soaring probably 50-75 feet or so above the main atrium space inside of a warehouse on a hydraulic lift spinning records/CDs. One vivid memory of these parties was the popularity of…. wait for it…. Dr. Seuss style hats. People would be literally trippin’ and wearing these crazy long Dr. Seuss looking caps. “E” was a very popular ahem supplement in this scene needless to say. Not sure when it became “Molly”.

So being immersed in so many types of music in those days kept me occupied. Too many hangovers and black outs.

These are some of the tracks that remind me of the rave scene back in the day.

The Shamen
“Ebeneezer Good” (a very clear reference to “E” or ecstasy at the time in which the song was reportedly banned from the air in the UK).
“Phorever People”

L.A. Style “James Brown is Dead”
The Prodigy “Wind it Up” “Out of Space”
808 State “Cubik”
Moby “Go” (before he became more mainstream)
Messiah "Temple of Dreams"

Last edited by TiMSport; 03-07-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Buug95917423.00