Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I believe I have about 120 CDs loaded on my car's hard drive at this point. Not sure how much space I have left, but it's definitely not full yet
The answer is yes, maybe and you could be pretty close. Or not. Should have qualified - if you burn your own CDs and use the maximum capacity (the size of the average song on a commercial music CD is about 3-4MB @1,411 kbps. MP3 @320 kbps. 12-24 songs per CD for an average commercial album, 80-150MB) with lossy compression you could store between 100-150 songs per CD burning your own. Your internal HD media space is about 20GB, so will hold a little over 30 of those, or roughly 3,000 to 4,000 songs compressed. At the maximum commercial album size straight off the CD, the math is that the internal HD will hold about 65 albums. But you're going to compress them (if you copy your own), and most of the albums won't all be the maximum size (probably closer to an average 100MB), so just as a WAG, double that, or even say 200 albums. That's a lot of music, and probably enough for most CD audiophiles. My own HD has a little over 100 albums, maxxed out. My collection is in excess of 600 CDs. A 125GB micro flash drive will hold over 6 times the capacity of the internal HD, or say 1,500 albums compressed.

And sorry about all the math - again, I wish a CD player was standard in the new BMWs - just more convenient and more historically reliable. It's just another way to play tunes, and a good one. I also wish the HD was larger (capacity), because 20GB is woefully inadequate in the new digital age, and storage is probably the cheapest thing you could add to these cars.

Last edited by Paladin1; 10-19-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0