02-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #23
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
I still haven't got mine so not really in a position challenge your thoughts.

However (correct me if am wrong) would you not be better off charging the battery while on the motorway at 70mph before entering a city so you could then use pure electric in the city traffic?

How inefficient would the battery hold have to be to having to use the ICE when in the stop start city driving.

Don't get me wrong charging at home and not using battery hold at all is clearly the best way but the above situation is a common one!
If you put the car on adaptive or hybrid and you program your trip on the navigation the car should keep the battery automatically for the parts of the trip in the city and use the ICE on the highway. Driving a constant speed on the highway doesn't use al lot of battery anyway.

So if you program your trip you shouldn't have to use battery hold. If you are not able to charge at your destination you can also program the return trip. The car will program battery use so that it should be nearly empty on arrival back home and maximal use of the battery in the city.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50