08-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
Bradtvm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2017 X5 Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman100 View Post
I am beginning to believe the maintenance plan isn't a good deal. I talked to the service department about this and they actually advised against the maintenance plan. He was saying you really shouldn't need brakes until 50K miles and of course this is depending on how you drive the car. I asked how much a service would be after the 36K which is included and he said worse case scenario would be $350-$400. That sounded cheap to me. It costs $700 just for upgrade which would include brakes and wiper blades for 3/36K. If you need brakes then yes this is a good deal, but if not then it is wasted money. Then if you want 4/48K plan that is $1899. If you need brakes during this time and you replaced wiper blades once per year you would come close to breaking even. The service advisor also said they offer coupons for discounts on service. Factoring all of the scenarios it doesn't make sense to get a maintenance plan.

Extended warranty is a different story. If something major goes wrong after car is out of warranty it could cost more than an extended warranty. I can get a 7/75K BMW warranty for 3650 and that is from out of state. That same warranty in Florida is almost 6K. Don't buy a car warranty in Florida. The state mandates the prices and a dealer cannot discount them. Go to another state and they can discount the warranty. I think I can do better than 3650. It will take a lot of phone calls but might be worth it.
Hi, I am new to the forum. My X5's warranty is ending in two weeks and I'd like to purchase an extended warranty for 3 yr/36k miles. Would appeciate the information on the dealership to contact for a good deal. Dealerships in Washington DC metro area quote upwards of $5K. Appreciate any help!
Appreciate 0