View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 11:46 PM   #27
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I am also deciding between 40i vs 45e in Canada. Here is my research notes (some points have already been stated by forum members, paraphrasing). I'll be glad if these notes helps someone.

Positives:

• If you drive a lot in town/country roads, and not a lot of motorway, and you charge it overnight then 45e will be a good choice in the long run.
• User averaging 5.4l/100km on local roads. 8.5l/100km on highways and 13l/100km on highways when battery is empty.
• X5 45e use heat pump, this tech is usually efficient.
• Pre-heating possible in the garage without starting the ICE and opening the garage door (need to have some battery charge left). It seems as if the car cannot draw electricity to directly pre-heat. Plug charges and warm-up the battery and battery heats up everything else ?!?
• Quiet electric city driving and anxiety free long trips.
• Few trips to gas station. May be keep the tank half filled to balance some weight when driving in the city ?!? 1 liter of gas is roughly 710 to 775 grams. If the gas tank remains half empty then we are looking at reducing about 21 kg weight. What is the weight gain on 45e compare to 40i? 350 kg.
• Electric torque.
• Transition technology until BEVs are mainstream.
• Drivers who regularly recharge the car's battery, the X5 can be configured to default to Electric mode every time you turn the car on.
• Green license plate, HOV lane access, preferred parking spots

Negatives:

• You need to have access to charging outlets, preferably a home garage. Many apartments are not equipped with chargers.
• Hybrid and PHEV has complex electronics, cost more upfront, not DIY repairable, cannot recoup extra cost.
• More equipment, thus potentially more maintenance costs. Hybrids parts are not widely available and wait time to get parts might be longer.
• There is no space for spare tire in 45e
• Recharging costs. Electricity is not free even if you have solar panels.
• Cost of home charger installation for 45e
• Resale value after 5-7 years (very difficult to predict, but generally people don't want used hybrids). Some predicts resale value after 5 years will be pretty bad. The technology, battery and mileage on the battery will be outdated. Hybrid powertrain will be considered out of date 5 years from now due to technology advances (and our government already removing Hybrid grants).
• Many F15 40e owners have had hard time get rid of it. It's just a question of time when the 45e will also become a false hybrid. For resale alone and speed of repairs many would NOT recommend the 45e. F15 40e had higher MSRP than the 35i, but the resale value on it is drastically lower than a comparable 35i. When it came to repairs, because of the lower volume of the car, BMW Canada never had any stock on parts so repair lead times were always longer. Perhaps the 45e will do better but doubtful.
• Whilst it is the same engine as 40i, when running purely on ICE, you are also carrying 350 kg dead weight of batteries; hence the gas mileage on ICE is poor compared to 40i without extra weight.
• Cost of battery replacement for 45e after warranty runs out (8 years)
• Cost of air suspension replacement (only for 45e as it is standard equipment) vs cost of adaptive m suspension replacement (for M Sport 40i)
• The fuel tank is a bit smaller: 69 liters (18.2 gallons).
• Smaller trunk. No place under the trunk floor for the space-saver spare tire.

Notes/Questions:

• MyBMW app display the range for fuel and electricity separately.
• Heating and cooling can be remotely started with the app or display key and is powered by the high voltage battery. The HV battery needs to be charged about 20%.
• How many cycle lithium ion battery will last in colder climate. 8 years warranty. Upgradeable?Replacement cost?
• You cannot order 45e without air suspension.
• Solar panel could complement some charging during day time, but with added cost.
• Charging time with the normal BMW charger is 10h for a full charge on 220v - for euro specs 21 kWh available capacity. North American 17 kWh capacity might take less time to charge.
• Europeans usually get 32-33 kWh/ 100 km in all electric. So if in the US the battery has 17 kWh net capacity. You should get around 50 km.
Nice summary! Thanks
Appreciate 0