Thread: 45e or 40i
View Single Post
      09-16-2020, 12:04 AM   #28
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

For the last couple of years, I was having the same debate in my head 40i or waiting for the 45e.

I choose the 45e because I wanted to try something new, with more driving range than the previous electric version. My normal commute is 5-10 minutes to the office, so daily I can drive it just in electric mode. The only hybrid will be on the weekends if going with the family to the beach or somewhere else.

From a financial point of view, you get more for your money with the 45e due to Federal, State and local incentives depending on where you live. At least, the $7,500 Federal. For a really similar build, I was getting around $5k less (it might be up to $10k as other members wrote).

Also, you get 30% back from your home EV charging installation.

The potential problem of the 45e, I suppose it will depreciate much more quickly than the 40i because of the battery and its 8 year warranty. You have more parts in the 45e, plus relatively new in BMW, so there is a potential higher risk of errors. I am thinking getting the extended warranty before my 45e is delivered.

Last edited by Finito84; 09-17-2020 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0