09-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I can say with certainty that this new and improved way of buying cars is less aggravating. Gone, for me, are the days of working out a deal with a salesperson and then have the infamous sales manager review that takes forever. I always ended up with the deal I wanted but the process was excruciating.
Right, that's an old tactic, hold the potential buyer in the showroom as long as possible and wear them down to the point where they will pay anything just to get out of there. What a joke.

I canvass around 10 dealers, then put their offers in an ordered chart and send it back to all 10. They recognize their offers and can see how far about the lowest price they are. I give them one more shot at gaining the sale but for a new car, I go with the lowest bidder on an out the door price, no trade.

The last car I did this with was for my wife's GTi and a dealer in PA came in at $3K less than my local NY dealer. Wanting to do business with my local guy, where I would be taking it for service, I showed them the revised offer and asked them to match it, they did not, so I bought from the PA dealer.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11345.50