09-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
The 45e can only do Level 1 and Level 2 charging.

Level 1 is using the cord that comes with the 45e and plugging into a regular 120v household outlet. It will take like 20 hours to charge.

Level 2 chargers will come with their own cord and they require either a 240v outlet or can be hard wired to the panel as 240v. Level 2 charge is about 7 hours. The ChargePoint mentioned above is a popular unit and is compatible with all EVs, PHEVs on the road.

Most owners will only ever charge at home or maybe at a hotel. Given how slowly it charges, even on Level 2, it doesn't make sense to recharge on the highway. I don't have my 45e yet, but I don't foresee needing an adapter to charge it. I will just charge in my garage with the cord included with a Level 2 charger.
Like mentioned I also do 95% charging at home level 1 on 220V in Europe is just fast enough to charge over night in 10h. I This is a big advantage compared to the 110. In the US.

I use public chargers:

50% to have the nice free parking spot in the centre of town or at the mall

50% in city trips / family visits / hikes with public chargers not to far away. Charging 2-3 hours or more on level 2 gives a substantial charge to return home. I only do this if I don't have enough battery to return home because public chargers are often twice as expensive as charging at home.

If I go somewhere en intend to stay for some hours, I check on the charging app if some nearby charging stations are available.

Charging for 30 minutes doesn't make sense unless it gives you I nice parking spot. So indeed I never charge on the highway.
Appreciate 0