View Single Post
      09-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #30
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

In my i3, whose max acv charging rate in the USA is 7400W, it uses two modules to convert to the DCV needed for the batteries. I'm pretty sure that the 45e is just using one of those modules, so there is no software ability to upgrade the charging rate. Keep in mind, this is a dc power supply and the internal components and the wiring gage involved all needs to match up along with the management of the heat involved in the process. From what I have read, the 120vac charging is less efficient than the 240vac level where the 240vac efficiency is in the order of 95%. So, from an efficiency viewpoint, going to a level 2 EVSE makes some sense in addition to the faster speeds.

Power = volts * amps, and the amps in any of the inputs is limited to 16 for the 45e, so doubling the voltage (and in the US case, raising the amperage to 16 from the supplied 10A devices supplied) will more than triple the charging rate.

In a typical garage, a 120vac receptacle may be shared with lights, the garage door opener, and who knows what else. As a precaution, to prevent popping the circuit breaker, the default charging rate is 6A. If you have a dedicated circuit, or are sure that 10A won't pop the breaker, there's no down side to bumping the car's menu up to 16A which is also the maximum you could charge on 120vac if it were a 20A circuit (the 80% rule applies for a device like this).
Appreciate 0