Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Nice thinking. But I am not convinced. What you are basically saying is that the battery is charging to 24 kwh and only has 17 kWh available that when used, require 24 kWh again to be 100% charged. So 7 kWh are lost somewhere. This would give a terrible miles / kWh.

I am not an electric engineer and I al just reasoning like you.

It would be interesting to know what the difference in battery management between the US and Europe is.
I don't think the batteries are charged to 100%. Tesla has the same feature where it usually charges to 90%. You can lower this percentage to help increase the longevity. I think my friend sets his at 70% which means all the cells only charge to 70%.

Also 17kWh is the useable capacity. That could mean 0 to 70%, 5 to 5% or 10 to 80%. Depleting to 0% is also not good for Lithium Ion batteries so hopefully BMW has taken that into account.
I know, the total capacity is 24 kWh but netto usable in Europe is 20,9 and in the US 17 kWh. Is this number confirmed btw? Is this the official number in the US car specs?

It f I drive my car and I have no electric range left I still have 5% charge in the CD app.

And even I know that what we see as 0 or 100 is what they want us to see and not what it effectively is.

Like you mention. Tesla advises to charge their batteries to 80% max for daily use and only do to 100% if really needed. Even if planning a longer trip with super chargers it doesn't go to 100% if not needed but this is because the last 20% take longer.
Appreciate 0