09-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #40
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
i.e., the "battery" is actually a bunch of cells bundled into modules that are bundled into the battery. The battery management software spreads the charge / use / decharge cycles across the various cells to extend the life and effectiveness of the overall battery. Thus in EU cars the software spreads those full-usage cycles serially across all cells equally, but in US cars the software limits the full use down to 17kWh which allows the software to spread the cycles longer on each cell thus increasing the life of the battery overall. In other words, in US vehicles the battery is somewhat burning in parallel instead of in series which provides less burden/load to the overall battery (i.e., the individual cells) resulting in an easier delivered 17kWh since it has 24kwh to play with ....

That said, it's important to I mention at this point that I have no idea what I'm talking about.
The battery cells (192 pcs) are in 12 modules, 16 pcs in each module. Two cells are connected in parallel and eight pairs in series in each module. The modules are connected in series. There is no way for the battery controller to "spread the cycles" among the cells - all cells are always charged and discharged simultaneously.

Capacity of each cell is 34 Ah (3.69 V), capacity of each module 68 Ah (29.5 V) and the total capacity 68 Ah (354 V) or 24 kWh.
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18113.00
m3_08589.00
X5 45e1077.00