09-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #44
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F25 2.8i , '21 G5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post
Has BMW done that in the past with previous versions of the BMW plugin hybrid?

Logically they should do it. However many auto manufacturers don't have the frame of mind of improving the cars after they are sold. The manufacturers build them and sell them.

The dealers make all of the money off of long term service.

So there is really no incentive for BMW to make any effort to gradually update older plugin cars to release more of the battery reserve. Of course, that would improve the resale value of these cars, but I don't know if BMW thinks like that.

Tesla is the first auto manufacturer that has a continuous improvement strategy, with new software updates improving older cars, new games downloading, etc. Over the 4 years that I owned a Model S, every couple of months new features would appear providing more control or scheduling options. Not all older Teslas receive every improvement, some are hardware limited. But even after years, new games and other things would appear in older Teslas.
if someone can confirm yes/no on this, it would be huge. If they won't be adding lost kWh from the locked pool its garbage and I'm really questioning if I should go with 45e...Paying for battery pack that you can't even use.

ps. Reached out to my bmw rep. Hopefully get some feedback.

Last edited by ketrab; 09-30-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0