10-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #54
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I'm guessing since I haven't played with mine that much yet, that once the ICE is activated, the computer wants to run it a bit prior to shutting it off again. Short duration runs with a cold engine are not great for longevity as combustion produces some water vapor, and if things don't get hot enough, it stays in the oil pan and exhaust system rather than drying itself out.

It's normal in sport mode for the ICE to turn on. In other modes, you have to exceed some power demand threshold, or decreased battery capacity before it will turn on. That demand could be accelerating to pass, starting up on a steep grade, or exceeding a certain speed. Throw in if you have a destination set in the nav, and that can complicate things some.
That is all correct and that is how it works. But that is not what is happening. It switches to hybrid without any obvious reason.

The other thing is that when the drive mode is switched from electric to hybrid / sport and the ICE is switched on it takes a minute to be able to go back to electric and I get why. However when driving electric and putting te gear into sport/manual the ICE turns on but when putting the gear back to normal position directly turns off the ICE and it goes back to electric mode. I would think it should go into hybrid for at least a minute like what happens when switching drive modes.
Appreciate 0