View Single Post
      02-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

Display key died

I've had my display key (and the car it opens) for a month now. Yesterday the car was complaining that the key battery was low. I know the display key has two batteries, one for the display and one for the key. The display was showing that the battery was almost full and I could lock and unlock the car from about 100m so that seemed like there was loads of power in that battery too.

Turns out that the display was showing a false reading for the display battery and it was indeed going flat. Now it's dead and it won't charge through either a cable (tried all the cables I have and all the sockets) or wireless pad.

The key did look like it was going to restart once but failed. Now it's just a blank screen and no way to turn it on. I've held the buttons to reset it as per the manual but makes no difference. Thankfully it still locks/unlocks/starts the car.

Hopefully it'll be covered under warranty.

Also be interested if they can find out what happened it. I have one of those cars where the wireless charging pad generates orders of magnitude more heat than charge. I "charged" the key there a few time's and it always came up with a high temperature warning. iPhone X does the same. Hopefully the pad isn't killing devices...
Appreciate 0