10-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #91
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Thanks.

I would love to install a set of catless DPs and go get it re-dynotuned. I have no doubt it would be worth at least an additional 50-60 hp.... maybe more.

no can do for me though. Not sure when I'm moving back to the US. Not sure where I'm moving to... and not sure what the customs inspection will be like when attempting to re-import a car to the US. I'm just not going to risk it.

So... what DPs did you buy that make them "not an exact fit"? Assuming the bellmouth portion bolts up directly to the exhaust flange on the turbo, I can't imagine it would be a terribly difficult installation. The exhausts on our cars (unlike everything else) is surprisingly simple.
I have done two on M5/6. They aren’t hard but the heat shield is a PITA. Getting to the pipes is about 90 minutes of work then the rest is wrestling that heat shield. It is definitely a DIY project though *if* fitment with mounting brackets and bungs are on point. If not, it is a headache.

Just an FYI, downpipes add little power. The decreased back pressure lowers cylinder temps and you can run more boost and a more aggressive timing curve. That is where the power comes from.
Appreciate 1