View Single Post
      12-26-2019, 03:42 AM   #78
X6M50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss-bimmer View Post
I was on a test drive at the Experience Center in Switzerland last week. While they didn't have a "standard" X5 with the M multifunction seats yet, I was however able to test these seats in the X5 M.

1. the seat is extremely comfortable in my opinion. Subjectively a bit harder than the comfort seat - but that's exactly what I was looking for. The seat is definitely narrower around the shoulder area - if someone has rather wide shoulders, this could be annoying...

2. the seat is bulkier - so the rear passengers have a rather limited view to the front (compared to the comfort seat). But not too dramatic.

3 For me the most important thing: the seat can be adjusted massively further down. Despite all the compliments for the comfort seat, this was always a slight deficiency to me that it could not be adjusted to a low enough position (I am 1.93m (6 foot 2) tall and like to sit quite low in the vehicle). This was already a problem with the comfort seats in my previous X5 F15. The M multifunction seat seems to be much better here!

4 at least in Switzerland the seat can now be configured with extended Merino leather equipment

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures - in my opinion the seat position and then the fact that I can now get the seats in Merino leather was the deciding factor. Hence I ordered them last week in my X5 e45. Delivery unfortunately only in March 2020 - therefore still a little patience needed for pictures ;-)

The seating position is determined by the nature of the car, not the seats themselves. As a luxury SUV, BMW tries to give you a commanding position much like in a Range Rover, you fee like you are sitting on the car instead of in, that's the case for both X5 and X7; however, if you try the same seats in a X6, you'll find they go quite a bit lower. I can get the same low position in a G06 X6 like in my F86 X6 M.

I understand you only tried them in a X5 M, the bad news is: I think when you get the car you'll realize the seating positions are the same. I hope I'm wrong so you can get that perfect position for yourself, but unlikely. So please do update us, I'd love to find out the answer! Thanks

And aesthetically, these seats don't work with normal X5 and X6, they are too aggressive and bulky for the intended look and feel of a Luxury SUV. They either feel like a car with split personality or an aftermarket add on. On the X5 M and X6 M, now that's a cohesive design and works perfectly!

p.s. not able to get bi-colour option is a big no no
Appreciate 0