View Single Post
      03-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #14
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

My forthcoming response is accompanied by the obvious caveat that I don’t know your current financial profile and even if I did, it would be presumptuous of me to assume I know what’s best for you and your family given those facts. But here is how I’m thinking about it - I have an F95 on order that was supposed to go into production week 14 (April 6) but is obviously delayed now:

I see no realistic scenario in which you will be in a WORSE financial position by waiting to lock into the new M50i. Cash doesn’t depreciate (ignoring FX flux here), but the car does and the contract isn’t fluid...meaning the terms are set once you sign unless I don’t understand your arrangement.

Notwithstanding the above point, the entire point of buying a car like this is an emotion want, not a financial need based on what yields the most money. If the latter were the case, we’d all by driving Hondas and Toyotas, not the pricier brand. And what’s the fun in that?

So it just a question of how important that balance is between getting into your new car sooner (M50i) to enjoy versus maximizing the best value on that new car and how long you’re willing to wait for that better deal.

I got on my dealer’s list back in October to ensure I got the first allocation for customer spec’d production, so let’s just say the deal I got was not great. I had zero leverage really because there was zero supply and even when supply would eventually emerge, it would trickle at the beginning which was still a full 6 months away at that point in time. Fine, I thought, but I have also given them zero money to-date so I’m not handcuffed (although I do have a large sale tax trade-in credit with that dealer that must be used by November, so i do have some incentive to buy from them).

I’m not nearly as excited about my pending delivery given that I’ve lost about 25% of my net worth over the last month, but I still want the car. However, I’m becoming less comfortable with paying full sticker given the environment. My only question is that while demand for the F95 will almost certain take a hit over the next 2 quarters (at least), will it decrease MORE than supply given the delays in production that may last a while. If not, I don’t think I can expect any material discounts unless I’m willing to wait more like year...not sure I’m willing to do that as I’ve already been waiting 6 months (very impatiently I might add).

I don’t expect the same supply issues and contraction for the M50i because its been out much longer and its production volumes were and will continue to be far higher. The point is that if you are willing to wait - even a couple months - I think you’ll get better deal that you’ve already negotiated. Just a question of how important it is that you get into that car sooner than later.l

Last edited by GSG5; 03-24-2020 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Correct
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50