Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
But for $20 a year I will make a exception.
Sadly because most of us will be okay with 20 here and there the subscriptions are here to stay for sure. I mean there are already brands where you pay monthly to just use cars per month not even lease them. I'm afraid at some point in time you won't be able to buy the vehicle but rather subscribe and pay monthly to use one. Maybe far off but just my worry.
Those subscriptions are way more expensive than a lease though. Not sure that model is sustainable unless they can bring the pricing closer to lease pricing, and then it will likely just replace leasing. I could be wrong, but I think the subscription services like Volvo offers put you at payments even higher than a financed payment be... you pay a big premium to avoid the longer term commitments. Niche market. I don't think that's the same thing as the nickel and dime subscriptions needed for tech features.

But I agree, we shouldn't have to pay for such things. Same with the connected apps and road side services (BMW Assist) etc.. Volvo started giving theirs away for 4 years instead of 1. At least that covers leases and a good portion of finance purchases.
Appreciate 0