Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
I just traded in my 2009 X6 xdrive 50i. I had it almost 13 years with 78K on the odometer. The only problem I had was the last 2-3 years I had to feed it oil every other month. Other than that, I had no issues. I don't know because it only had 78K miles or if we just didn't drive it very hard. After reading all the reports, I'm a little worried, especially because I traded my X6 in for a X5 M50i. Basically the same motor. I'm hoping BMW figured out the problem and I was going to ask the crew, would it help with cooling if when I returned from a trip if I opened the hood to help with the cooling, or would that not do anything?
The additional oil coolers for the S63 run upwards of 10 min when I park based on the RPM's/drive logic setting prior to parking (based on my 18 F85 and 21 F95). The N63 in your G05 doesn't have the additional oil coolers. I highly doubt opening the hood would do anything. Last fall I hit the tail of the dragon hard and needed a top off of oil the following day, but that was in my retired F85. Maybe the current G05/F95 N63/S63 has this issue resolved being on the Tu4, as the V8 oil burn has been a know issue for almost 10 years.
The M50i has the extra turbo oil cooler that will run up to 15 mins after the engine is off and the larger inter cooler. The N63T in the M50i has all the S63 cooling addons it is detuned, smaller turbo package and several smaller changes.

It will cool off after running and the newest N63 is very different than the original 09 models.

BMW N63B44T3 - N63TU3 Technical Update 3

N63B44T3 Horsepower: 523 hp (390kW)

N63B44T3 Torque: 553 lb-ft (750 N-m)

Years: 2018-present

The top tier version of the N63TU3 is quite impressive. It produces a staggering 523 horsepower and 553 torque. Notice, this is the same torque output as the impressive S63 M engines. Updates are similar to the middle output version. Although, the upper output version gets some stronger, beefier components to support the power. Updates include:

**Also includes above TU3 updates, but we do not mention them here to avoid duplicates

Electric arc wire sprayed cylinder walls
Piston skirt coating
Crankshaft re-balanced with new main bearing shells
Forged rods from S63TU4
Larger turbochargers with electrical blow-off valves
Updated ignition system, taken from modular B series engines
The top power N63TU3 receives a few extra updates over the middle output version. Cylinder walls receive arc spraying for strength and durability. Pistons are coated to accommodate the cylinder walls update. The crankshaft is lightened and strengthened. N63TU3 forged rods are carried over from the 591 horsepower S63TU4. Larger turbochargers are responsible for the significant increase in power and torque. Finally, the ignition system is updated to support the new found power.

As evidenced, this update is almost all to do with power. New, larger turbos produce impressive numbers. The N63TU3 is mod happy and is a strong engine designed to handle the power and torque. Excellent update and beautiful engine.

BMW N63 Final Thoughts

From one of the least reliable BMW engines to one of the most underrated BMW engines. BMW experienced early issues with the original N63. Fortunately, customer care packages dampen the troubles. Furthermore, issues were resolved with the release of the N63TU. This engine was basically a complete re-design of the N63. The N63TU2 takes another step forward with the change to efficient twin-scroll turbos.
Appreciate 4
jps3b84.00
Ibiza3610.00
Swappy531.50
JimVR4337.50