View Single Post
      01-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #169
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Did anyone on here happen to watch CNN's special report on Mary Jane this evening?

Most enlightening...I was quite surprised to find that the U.S. government holds ownership of a patent that demonstrates at least one medical use of MJ....this even as it maintains MJ's status as Schedule 1 controlled substance, which by definition of what it means to be a Schedule 1 substance means it has no medical value or usefulness.

Now I don't care too much whether MJ is or isn't a Schedule 1 substance, but I care even less, quite a good deal less, for the hypocrisy and conflicting nature of the U.S. government taking such diametrically opposed positions. And that's even before I consider that it's holding the patent it does prevents anyone else from availing themselves of the beneficial impact that's clearly been proven beyond all doubt by virtue of the patent's having been granted. Moreover, I cannot help but think that someone in the government knew damn well that MJ has medical value and the only way to keep the legal door to exploiting it, and presumably "speeding the slide down the slippery slope of depravity," was to obtain the patent it did.

That sort of domestic contrivance is unconscionable to me. Our government exists to make the lives of its citizens better and to the extent that that patent stands in the way of doing that for some citizens, it's just flat out wrong, morally and ethically.

One thing that surprises me as well regarding the movement to legalize MJ is that the movement's supporters haven't made a concerted effort to make jury nullification quite well known around the country so that eventually, when folks come to trial MJ possession/use, eventually it will be unavoidable that jurors are unaware of that final check/balance against governmental tyranny that has been Constitutionally provided, and it will become impossible to seat a jury that isn't very well aware of their right in that regard. At that point, sooner or later, juries will exercise that right and overthrow existing MJ laws, and the effect of doing so will effect change far more rapidly than will the bureaucratic wrangling that must go on to do so administratively.

Too often, Americans overlook that our country was created with the intent that governance occur of, for and by the people. Yes, it's a representative democracy, but the fact is that jury nullification is very much and quite literally what is and was meant in the "by the people" component of our founding principles. It's the people's duty, when collectively they feel a law that has been created is just wrong, not to support it in the most critical voting opportunty they as individuals have, and that is their vote as jurors.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 01-07-2015 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0