BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW B58 Named 2019 Wards 10 Best Engines
COMMENTS
Name:  2019-BMW-X5-B58-Engine.jpg
Views: 23426
Size:  229.7 KB

As announced by Wards Auto

2019 Wards 10 Best Engines: Gasoline, Diesel, Electrification Honored

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says WardsAuto editor Drew Winter.

For the first time ever, three pickup-truck engines appear on the Wards 10 Best Engines list, while four electrified powertrains make the cut for the second consecutive year as well.

Rounding out the field in this 25th year of the Wards 10 Best Engines competition is a muscle-car V-8, a German luxury turbocharged inline 6-cyl. and a groundbreaking turbocharged 4-cyl. with variable compression ratio.

WardsAuto editors chose the winners after spending October and November evaluating 34 engines and electric propulsion systems during routine commutes in metro Detroit.

Other notable trends this year: Ford wins two trophies for the second year in a row, and Hyundai wins two awards in the same year for the first time ever. A hydrogen-powered fuel-cell vehicle makes the cut for the third time, and two V-8s earn trophies in the same year for the first time since 2015.

“I never thought I’d live to see the day when a fuel-cell car and a battery EV would make the list the same year as two burly V-8s and a sophisticated 4-cyl. engine with variable compression,” says Drew Winter, WardsAuto senior content director.

“Automakers and their powertrain engineers are being pushed in different directions: Governments around the world want low emissions and electrification, while customers want vehicles that meet their every need without compromise. We believe this year’s list represents the industry’s ability to deftly satisfy both demands.”

This year’s winners (in alphabetical order by brand):
3.0L (B58) DOHC Turbocharged I-6 (BMW X5)
6.2L OHV V-8 with DFM (Chevrolet Silverado)
5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT/Bullitt)
3.0L DOHC TurboDiesel V-6 (Ford F-150)
2.0L DOHC Atkinson i-VTEC 4-Cyl./HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)
120-kW Fuel Cell/Electric Propulsion System (Hyundai Nexo)
150-kW Propulsion System (Hyundai Kona EV)
2.0L DOHC VC-Turbo 4-Cyl. (Infiniti QX50)
2.0L DOHC Atkinson 4-Cyl./HEV (Lexus UX 250h)
3.6L DOHC Pentastar eTorque V-6 (Ram 1500)

BMW has won 34 Wards 10 Best Engines trophies over the past 25 years (tied with Ford for the all-time lead), and 28 of those awards were for inline 6-cyl. engines. It’s no coincidence that year after year, Munich finds ways to improve the modular inline architecture to deliver unparalleled refinement, high efficiency and effortless revving.

In the case of the all-new ’19 X5 crossover, the updated B58 turbo-6 is rated at 340 hp, but it feels like so much more during spirited runs to the redline.

The B58 debuted a few years ago and now gets a new cooling system, head, timing chain, oil pump and a forged crankshaft. The block and air induction system have been modified, and the new high-pressure direct-injection fueling system is rated at 5,076 psi (350 bar), up from 3,626 psi (250 bar).

Our judges raved about their seat time in the new X5, and nearly all of them topped 20 mpg (11.7 L/100 km), despite heavy-footed testing.

Read the rest of the release at https://www.wardsauto.com/2019-10-be...cation-honored

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 12
Miko M6648.50
Hedoniste3770.50
jra0113422.00
4 Doors1166.50
zamboni1124.50
N26Ghost496.50