03-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #56
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
Right now WM has the Castrol 0W-40 with the certification, $27/5 quarts, but I hear Castrol is phasing out the oil with the certification. So I plan to grab one big jug (and a quart extra for topping off), hold onto it and the oil filters I've ordered from FCPEuro, and bring the stuff to my regular mechanic in August or so at 30K miles. I'll have him do a brake fluid flush and cabin filter change as well, and change my own engine air filter.

By that time the car will be out of factory warranty. Should I continue with BMW-certified oil during my year's CPO warranty, or will Mobil 1 do as well?
I have run total quartz 5w30 ll-04 and now castrol 0w40 LL-01. Have not done oil analysis on either but am hoping to in the near future.

2 things in this thread have caught my eye, hoping I can get an answer:

1. Mobil 1 at one point had the LL-01 designation but now doesnt, yet plenty of people still run it. Is it simply still good oil and M1 didn't want to pay for the certification? Would the users here running this oil without the certification feel comfortable running that oil for 10k miles?
2. I saw it mentioned that castrol will not be LL-01 soon. What's the source for that? Would that put it in the same bracket as the M1 oil? Personally I would probably feel comfortable using the castrol 0w40 if there was no obvious change in properties other than it losing the LL-01.