View Single Post
      12-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Not going to argue with unreliability of ConnectedCrap and lots of other BMW software, but digital key **in operation** is "just" NFC and doesn't require connectivity to work. The setup seems to require connectivity, but use does not.
Ahhh...didn't realize that, once setup, access was via direct communication between one's phone and the vehicle, not dependent on CD.

On the subject of electronic access, yesterday after returning to where my '13 128i was parked, the door would not unlock via comfort access when I took hold of the door handle. Tried a few times, then took the fob out of my pocket and it opened when I pressed the unlock button. Upon starting the car, the infamous car-on-a-lift graphic was displayed in the display cluster - hmmm...now what? Drove home, exited, locked the car via comfort access, then successfully unlocked with comfort access, re-started the car and no problem display.

I guess the vehicle was temporarily 'confused', but it does illustrate there are many things that can go wrong in modern vehicles with something as basic as unlocking them - and I use the term modern loosely - as a 2013, my 128i is archaic in its simplicity compared to our G05's.

Whether access via phone, fob or key card, there is a lot between you and the door locks, and starter motor for that matter. Of course the G05 does have the back up ability to physically unlock the door using the key stored within the fob, but of course you need the fob for that and you need to recall how to access the hidden lock in the door handle. How many have reviewed those instructions in the owner's manual? I did when I first bought the vehicle, but don't claim to remember how to do it (no problem, of course, you can easily access the instructions in the manual on iDrive - oh wait - I think I see a problem with that plan).
Appreciate 0