View Single Post
      01-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

If (and that is a big IF) an aftermarket company makes an intake system.... you have to be careful that the intake is actually BETTER than the stock intake.

If you notice, the stock airboxes are mounted to the sides of the engine (vs the m850i's that are mounted near the front of the car).... and they are fed through tubes running to the front of the car, fed by cool air.

With many (poorly designed) aftermarket intakes.... they use a "generic" tube, with a high-flow cone filter.... but that cone filter (while it does flow better) is now sucking in hot air from under the hood, instead of cold air from outside. In many instances.... they can cause a CEL because the MAF sensor is reading the incoming air temperature as too hot.

Hence, completely negating... or even worsening, your performance.

A properly designed intake will cost a considerable amount more than a Chinese quickie.... but it will also perform better than stock.

Most chinese quickies "sound cooler" (which is why kids buy them)... but the performance is actually worse.

If an appropriate one is designed.... I'll consider it. Until then, I've always trusted K&N. You'll see a moderate improvement in performance, and there is always the ability to clean it without replacing it.

K&N offers a "slightly" better solution over stock..... until a suitable intake is designed.

I GUARANTEE you that the first ones that start popping up on ebay over the next couple months..... are not worth buying.
Appreciate 0