Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlion View Post
Has anyone experienced successful resolution to this issue (new phone but keys not deleted in old phone, now device ineligible)?
You should be okay if you're renewing the service as you'll get a new 2020/21 key and you are switching to a new phone. (Even though you failed to remove the old "expiring" key from your old phone.) You may need to remove the old key from the iDrive (in car) or worst case reset the the digital key function in the iDrive and then have a service advisor "re-register" you in the service advisors access area known as the Digital Cockpit.

I was able to prove that concept works because, I was able to install my new 2020 digital key and activate it on another Samsung 10 phone that I had borrowed from my local dealer. After proving it worked I carefully uninstalled the key from the borrowed phone and then removed it from the iDrive system.

The problem I'm having is slightly different as the 2019 key was never uninstalled from my S10+, it was removed from the iDrive first which appears to have stranded a digital key artifact in the NFC system of the phone even after doing a factory reset. So now when I try and install the 2020 key to the same phone that held the 2019 key it's being blocked.
I had something very similar. What worked for me was to install the connected app on the old phone and then try to reinstall the digital key on it. At the same time, I did the same thibg on a different phone. It then allowed me to remove the digital key from the old phone. I cant remember the exact details but it was something like this. I did it about 6 months ago.

Good luck. It is frustrating. You would think BMW would be able to invalidate the old key, because if you lost or destroyed your phone, there would be no way to do the above.
Appreciate 0