View Single Post
      04-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #16
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

[quote=Dan@UnitedBMW;126092]Let me know if you need any CF :thumbup:

"Alarms are useless with cars that have EWS modules because no one is going to steal the car without the key. Your key is coded by VIN, and that's the only thing starting the car."

You know that. I know that. Most of the people on this forum know that. But does the crackhead wandering the street looking for an easy score know that? Or is he going to smash your window anyway - and try to steal the car. Remember - this is not a normal human being thinking logically. This is a crackhead loser with half his brain dissolved by chemicals.

I paid for a BMW alarm (installed by dealer for warranty and service issues) and I use the 'Club LX' on the steering wheel. I like the visual effect - blinking light on the rear view mirror - club on the steering wheel. Move it along, crackhead car thief loser! So for every window that doesn't get smashed - I save the hassle of having my car in the shop for a couple of days, and the $300 deductible on my insurance coverage. Plus I sleep just a little better at night!

By the way, the Police in Vancouver recetly issued a public warning. It seems they captured a known crackhead serial car thief (with a criminal a record as long as his arm) with about 2 dozen valet keys in his possession. The police checked the valet keys in his posession and most of them matched up to recently stolen cars. He was driving a stolen brand new Acura at the time.

It seems that a lot of new Acuras (and other cars) are being delivered to owners with the valet key in a pocket in the users manual. The users manual gets placed in the glove box by the new owner, with the valet key still in it. Serial car thief knows this, and targets new Acuras. Breaks the window, and looks for valet key in the glove box! Even if only 10% of owners are uninformed enough to leave said valet key in the glove box, all he has to do is break into 10 a day to have a new car!

The same thing for wheel locks. My BMW dealer supplied my car with wheel locks, a nice touch. When the Service consultant was going over the car with me - he showed me the tool kit in the trunk - and showed me where they placed the wheel lock keys in the tool kit. So - do I leave them in the trunk? No way - if someone wants to steal my 261M Sport wheels, all they'd have to do is smash the window, pop the trunk - grab the keys - 10 minutes later my car would be sitting on the ground sans wheels. Where are my wheel lock keys now you ask? In my safe at home where they belong!:thumbup:

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0