08-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #49
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Funny because I've walked away from a Porsche because our local dealer sucks and didn't want to order a car for me. I wanted anything other than Black interior. The limited color options is also a big detractor for me to consider Tesla as well. In fact, people here are so tired of Tesla's same colors year after year that I now see a disproportionate number of Tesla's with vinyl wraps. Which I find funny that people seem reluctant to pay extra for a paint job but they seem to have no problem paying for a vinyl wrap.
Your local dealer does suck. When I ordered my 911 (God I miss her... but a house became the priority after I got married) it was simple, painless, and the dealer was happy to work with me on a custom order. That’s the experience that most people I know across the continent have had. Go find a better dealer!!!

As for colours, I did not order custom at the time because I was in love with Lapis Blue. If I’m ever in the position to order a car that doesn’t have to haul kids again, I would seriously consider the paint to order, even if it is insanely priced, because I would be keeping the car forever. I’m not making the mistake of selling my dream car a second time.

If you are leasing a Porsche or plan to upgrade to the newest model when released, as the majority of North American purchasers do, (note: nobody get offended please, this is borne out by statistics, and does not in any way represent the type of people who would be on this forum, who are statistically anomalous because we like cars as more than a status symbol), then custom colours are not worth it at all. As mentioned, they sometimes go for less than basic colours on resale, because you have to find someone who likes it. At best, you will lose the investment in the colour, because almost nobody would pay extra for it on the used market. I imagine BMW individual paint and paint to sample will be the same way: unless you find the one buyer of used cars who is willing to pay more for something unique, your investment is gone.

Tl:dr: only get individual paint or paint to sample if it is worth it for you for however long you own the car, because that money ain’t gonna be recouped.

...As an aside, I am always amazed when I see Porsche’s ordered with combinations like bright blue or green paint and bright red leather interiors... I can only imagine how hard those must be to resell!
Appreciate 0