06-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #55
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
MY 2021 G05-G07 vehicles have different coding in the Head Unit, which suggests it won't work with just a CD app update:
SMARTACCESS_KML_ACTIVE: KML_active
SMARTACCESS_VERSION: smacc_1_5

and the corresponding BDC entries:
NFC_SMART_ACCESS_KML_ACTIVE: active
NFC_SMART_ACCESS_VERSION: Smart_Access_KML_NFC

The codes are only slated to be active for cars with a build version of 07/2020 and later. 'If' they are required to support the iOS digital key, then I would expect you will need:
- the codes above,
- an i-step upgrade to 07/2020.x
- and an update to the CD app
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
I suspect its more likely an issue of Apple requiring specific hardware in the vehicle for the feature it to function. This is reminiscent of many other Apple technologies Homekit, Airplay2, Carplay etc etc that hardware makers have had to contend with. If BMW could roll this out retroactively, even if they charged for it, it would be in their best interest to do so.
I think it's because of what IFR said in his post. MY21 has different codes.

RE: Hardware, I'm not sure. Only the latest phones have the ultra wideband chip (UWB), which is what's required for the convenience of leaving it in your pocket because UWB can do precise location tracking. The other supported phones, XR, XS etc. don't have that. If it required specific hardware, the XR XS etc. should not be supported, but they are. They just (in theory) will require you to have it in your hand, place it on the charger to start, etc. It is possible there is additional hardware within the NFC reader for MY21, but again, if a MY21 supports an iPhone XR, which cannot use the UWB, why can't a MY20?