Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Just wondering; if BMW wants to implement this, would it be as simple as updating (or releasing a new one) the iOS app, or would a system update to the car itself likely be needed as well?
Because then we'll be waiting a while for an OTA with the new feature to arrive...
MY 2021 G05-G07 vehicles have different coding in the Head Unit, which suggests it won't work with just a CD app update:
SMARTACCESS_KML_ACTIVE: KML_active
SMARTACCESS_VERSION: smacc_1_5

and the corresponding BDC entries:
NFC_SMART_ACCESS_KML_ACTIVE: active
NFC_SMART_ACCESS_VERSION: Smart_Access_KML_NFC

The codes are only slated to be active for cars with a build version of 07/2020 and later. 'If' they are required to support the iOS digital key, then I would expect you will need:
- the codes above,
- an i-step upgrade to 07/2020.x
- and an update to the CD app
Because this functionality is related to access security and because it is also related to connectivity, I am doubting those 3 steps will be enough. I expect there will need to also be some kind of a certificate exchange/provisioning step. Hence why I doubt that it will be just codeable on MY2019s if BMW decides to pull that BS on us again (nothing builds a trustworthy brand like constantly pissing off your early adopter beta testers).