View Single Post
      11-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
BHCJJS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 x40i M Sport, '04 E46

Personal Preference

Blaked - congrats and welcome to the forum.

I too perused through this forum to find answers and finally settled with purchasing a winter wheel set that I could just swap myself. Similar to what rexus was indicating, except that I went with the 748M 20" with a square set-up (all four wheels being the same size, versus my 21" 741m with a staggered set-up). Got it for $4k at my dealer's parts department after tax (barely got a discount, even after playing the active duty military card).

I also have an 03' F-250 as my daily, with the X5 x40i M sport being my wife's daily and our family car to haul our two toddlers. Being that Kansas does get a decent amount of snow and ice, I didn't want us ice skating in the winter. Yet, being that we have the M sport brakes, they barely fit the 19s (many have said the 19s won't fit. i've seen it fit by somebody on this forum, but i didn't want to risk less than a half inch clearance).

Here are some considerations:
1. Immediately swapping out the tires with A/S tires and selling your summers (whether on this forum or somewhere else).
2. Purchasing a set of winter wheels and tires and doing it yourself.
- I suspect you could do this yourself (being that you're a Ford guy); otherwise, the cost would outweigh the benefit if you're paying to swap wheels twice a year. I got everything I needed for around $200 (decent floor jack, 17mm non-marking lug nut socket, breaker bar, and torch wrench).
- also went with BMW because like you, I wanted to keep it BMW, and the wheels come already balanced. All you have to do is swap, change the setting to winter tires, and reset the TPMS. however, the 748Ms are run-flats, and tracking your 22s are not.
3. Swapping tires twice a year.
- yet again, by year 4-5, your cost of swapping those tires after purchasing winter tires could almost equal just purchasing a winter set and doing the swaps yourself. of course, this also depends how long you're planning on keeping the car.
- also, if swapping tires, you're still on 22", which doesn't give you a lot of sidewall (since people are more prone to curb rashes in the winter with snow on the ground).

Check out the 19/20 winter wheel set catalog:
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/winter-tire-catalog-19
- more up to date prices are on shopbmw though.

this was all trying to be cost conscious, and this is how i convinced my wife to spend another $4k, but who are we kidding when trying to be cost conscious. We drive BMWs...
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50