Rep
Drives: '21 G05 x40i M Sport, '04 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Thank you this is so helpful.
I am working the math and looking at various options
My existing 21" staggered setup wheels with Pirelli Scorpion Winter runflats
21" staggered setup with Pirelli Scorpion All season non RF
19" wheel-tire set from tire rack and doing Pirelli Scorpion Winter RF.

Tire rack says broad and low profile wheels and snow don't do that well compared to 18-19" with high profile tires.

I am thinking swapping the tires on the wheel (2x a year) vs just 19" separate setup which I can install myself in garage, the later is better. I may even be able to do it over weekends before and after my ski trips. But Somehow I am not able to bring my mind to terms with 19" from 21". Oh and by the way I am in AZ with weekend ski trips and that's what this is about after my X3 all seasons gave me a close shave last year.

Pirelli scorpion winters seem to rack up good reviews for 60-80F temperatures too.
It all comes down to personal preference. If you do the math, as I'm sure you did, the difference is not that much to sway you toward one direction or another (if you plan on keeping the car for a bit). If you're not planning on keeping the vehicle for at least 4-5 years or more, it's probably not worth getting a wheel set.

Nevertheless, I just did the swap from my 21" 741M Perelli Summers to 20" 748M Perili Winters two weeks ago, in my garage, by myself. First time ever (but enough experience changing out flats in my lifetime - that's really the extent of experience you need), and it took me 1.5 hours. I'm confident it'll take me half that time next time (I'm pretty meticulous with preparations and not scratching my M Sport brake calipers).

One thing you definitely need are a pair of wheel hangers (M14 x 1.25) if you're doing this alone.

I swapped the tire set knowing it'll get down to 40F during the days at that time, and didn't want to risk my summers cracking from the cold. Yet, it's been 30-65F for the past week from evening to afternoon. Typically doing the majority of driving during the day in the 60s, I've noticed my braking distance has increased a little bit, but nothing significant that I'm worried about an accident.

However, I've yet to drive these in snow/ice yet, so can't give you an experienced perspective, but it does fine in rain thus far.

Lastly, I'm confident most od us can't see the significance in stopping distance between low profile versus high profile winters. It's the same surface with the same tire tread depth that makes contact to grip as much road/snow/ice as possible for stopping. The real difference is wheel protection from curbs and rocks that are harder to see when snow is on the ground.
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50