View Single Post
      11-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #22
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Thanks BHCJJS.

So after a lot of reading and a few phone calls to tire rack, I am going the 19" + Pirelli Scorpion Winter RF setup.
I was more inclined towards the 20" but I am not getting RF tires but just non RF ones. Hence 19".

Tire rack shows widths for 19" wheels : 19x8 and 19x9 both as O.E. Diameter. On BMW official catalog they show 19x9j to keep it universal to work with larger Msport brakes I think. I don't have the Msport brakes.
Any comments if I chose 19x8? Most of 19x9 are unavailable and sold out. Tire rack mentioned both of them will work and have been tried and tested and hence listed for my vehicle. Just wanted to know if you have any comments.

Thanks a lot - you have been very helpful as I enter this space. In my X3 I never bothered earlier with A/S tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCJJS View Post
It all comes down to personal preference. If you do the math, as I'm sure you did, the difference is not that much to sway you toward one direction or another (if you plan on keeping the car for a bit). If you're not planning on keeping the vehicle for at least 4-5 years or more, it's probably not worth getting a wheel set.

Nevertheless, I just did the swap from my 21" 741M Perelli Summers to 20" 748M Perili Winters two weeks ago, in my garage, by myself. First time ever (but enough experience changing out flats in my lifetime - that's really the extent of experience you need), and it took me 1.5 hours. I'm confident it'll take me half that time next time (I'm pretty meticulous with preparations and not scratching my M Sport brake calipers).

One thing you definitely need are a pair of wheel hangers (M14 x 1.25) if you're doing this alone.

I swapped the tire set knowing it'll get down to 40F during the days at that time, and didn't want to risk my summers cracking from the cold. Yet, it's been 30-65F for the past week from evening to afternoon. Typically doing the majority of driving during the day in the 60s, I've noticed my braking distance has increased a little bit, but nothing significant that I'm worried about an accident.

However, I've yet to drive these in snow/ice yet, so can't give you an experienced perspective, but it does fine in rain thus far.

Lastly, I'm confident most od us can't see the significance in stopping distance between low profile versus high profile winters. It's the same surface with the same tire tread depth that makes contact to grip as much road/snow/ice as possible for stopping. The real difference is wheel protection from curbs and rocks that are harder to see when snow is on the ground.
Appreciate 0