View Single Post
      01-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #21
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeblet View Post
Don't forget to remove your stupid charcoal filters. Carbahn says on Dyno M850i same engine got 17hp to the wheels with just this!
My tuner (BR-Performance) got 680 hp from their first European-spec M50i, and then when they tuned mine, they got 690. (Crank hp)

At the time, the only mod I had done to the engine was the removal of the charcoal filters. Granted, European spec M50i cars also have OPF sensors in the exhaust too. So, that probably had something to do with the difference as well.

I've since been back for a re-tune 2 days ago (due to a BMW update that reverted the car back to stock).... and they were able to get 12 more HP on the new software, and 15 more nM of torque. Now I'm at 702/943.

The only thing I've done to the car since the first tune was remove the resonator and weld in a 3" double H-pipe. It sounds a little better, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the power increase. The stock resonator is essentially a baffled straight pipe setup. It wasn't "restrictive" at all.

17 wheel hp = 22+ or - crank horsepower. That's quite a bit for only filters, but then again, the M850i doesn't have nearly as much rotating mass as the X5. So, I'm not quite sure US X5 guys will see a 17 whp increase.

However..... a 10 whp increase? I think that is perfectly feasable. Coupled with high performance filters instead of the stock ones? I don't think a total of a 15 whp is out of the question at all. It seems like a perfectly reasonable estimate. I know it's just a set of silly filters, but I'm excited for them to arrive. 5 more hp is 5 more hp.... I'll take it.

BR-P's M50i dyno. First car is listed on the first page. If you scroll down and switch to my car (the white X5), you can see the difference in hp output:

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/...1-xdrive-m50i/

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 01-22-2021 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
heeblet26.00