10-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
A guy here at work has a Shinola. He loves it, and I think it looks better in person than in any photo. I don't have a problem that the founder is previously behind Fossil. Seems like a lot of people buy expensive brands out of Switzerland even though Swatch Group owns many of them. Doesn't seem to bother them that the parent is famous for watches in crazy colors for under $100.

1. That's a good thing. They'd not get far with the profits if the thing got worse looking in person. LOL
  2. True. And when you consider that between them and Richemont Group well over 60% of the major, pricey Swiss brands are covered. When you take that in concert with the fact that the guts of something like 90% of all non-manufacture watches are made by ETA, and Swatch owns ETA, it's even more surprising.
But the fact is that for many folks, what they think about a watches is very much like racism: the color of their skin (brand) rather than the content of their character (anything other than the brand name affixed on the dial) is the basis for judgment.

But there are other American companies making watches, Bernhardt, Kobold, RGM, Towson Watch Company and RPaige to name a few.

RPaige is doing something rather novel, though some vintage-watch snobs don't care for it, folks who don't care if a watch is vintage or not might well enjoy them. http://www.rpaigewatch.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0