View Single Post
      03-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto969 View Post
OK, I am a new owner of a 2019 X5, and a first time owner of a BMW. I have always changed the oil on my vehicles; I'm somewhat of a fanatic about this. When I asked the 'genius' about the procedure to do this on the X5, he strongly suggested that I bring the car in for them to do it because it is 'tricky'. There is nothing in the user's manual either, aside from references to BMW Longlife oil.

Is this really a challenging procedure on this car and do you need to use 'BMW longlife oil' vs a comparable (API, viscosity, etc.) off-the-shelf synthetic?

thanks.
I'd use their oil as long as you're under the 4/50 just to be safe. I've looked around the engine bay, BMW really wanted to make life difficult compared to my E46/E90 cars. With those cars, I just used a mityvac topside extractor through the dipstick and the oil filter was properly placed front and center. Changing oil back then didn't require jacks at all! Now, there's no dipstick and the oil filter is placed at the far rear of the engine along with it bent at a weird angle. Will likely require U-joint or a wobble extension... Since the oil filter housing is very tilted, you'll be guaranteed to spill a bit of oil as you spin it off also

GJ BMW!

I'm still trying to decide on whether to do a break in oil service on our G05. It's purchased so I'm researching like crazy on what previous gen cars did longevity wise with the B58 motor with 10K changes. The 15K that was recommended previously on my E46/E90 was just way too long.
Appreciate 0