Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaasky View Post
as the person above u pointed out, those are not exclusive issues to m50i, or even x5. nonetheless, they are issues, and thus bad things, that one shall know and consider when buying it, vs buying a different car.

without re-posting what i wrote before, here are some of my biggest complaints:

key/account/profile is confusing and unnecessary
tech is full of bugs. drive recorder, bmw connect app, carplay, either break and require reboot or don't work at all
seat ventilation is useless (see the tread i started)
built in navi does not accept a new home address even though google map api already does for more than 10 months. bmw navi obviously has online capability so not sure why it can't fall back to google api when its built in db yields no record?

dont get me wrong it's still better than all other suvs in its class that's why i bought it.
Ah, thanks. Now here's my opinion and observations, just applicable to my car - not every car, not yours, not universally, not blanketing the whole Universe of X5s. Just mine. Key account and profiles work fine for me; haven't had a problem, and I haven't been confused.

Tech does have bugs, many reported here. My passenger-side camera is misaligned, which is aggravating when parking. Still no OTA software updates, although apparently map update works. My 3D Remote View has never worked, at least correctly and reliably. Otherwise the Connect app works great. No problems at all with Drive Recorder - a feature I really like since I don't have a dashcam and am not interested in rewiring my car to install one. That's about it for tech issues I'd like to see fixed. I don't consider them "bad," just inconvenient. "Bad" would be if my Nav screen was blank, or ACC didn't work. That would be "bad." A matter of degree I suppose.

Not an Apple user. Like the majority of the connected Universe, I'm an Android user, so can't comment on CarPlay glitches. It would be nice if Android Auto was available, but again more a matter of convenience, and the excellent Nav system almost compensates. Almost.

Seat ventilation works as expected and experienced in many other cars, and in fact much better than my late model Q7. It's definitely not as noisy. I like it. I'm sure you meant useless for you.

I haven't had a problem with any features of the Navigation system, including entering and editing addresses. The voice control for it is the best implementation I've seen in any system, accurate and intuitive, and sending addresses from the Connect app has worked flawlessly. The best in-car navigation I've used, in function and appearance, even, for me, better than Audi's Virtual Cockpit, which was actually just a Google gimmick.

I've been pretty impressed. It's not perfect - it doesn't corner or accelerate like my R8 did. But then, well.... As for the tech, see above inconveniences. It would be nice if it was less expensive. And had more color options. And got 50 mpg. Those aside, I tend to agree with the majority of reviewers who rate it the best SUV available right now.
Appreciate 3
BBDDVV10.50
2REP20.50