View Single Post
      01-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
My guess would be the 2 10 SEER a/c compressors, probably combined with heavy usage and / or high electric rates. Throw in some older hot water heaters and other inefficiencies (for example windows and doors), I think $500 is easily attainable. Our bill in South Florida during peak summer in a 2,645 sq. ft. under air home is around $350 with far more efficient a/c units , a pool timer, newer appliances and energy efficient storm windows and doors.

Every time I ask someone about maintenance costs of solar, I am told there are none. They may be low, but I don’t believe anything has zero maintenance costs. For those that have solar, what are the realistic costs to maintain it? How often do the panels require cleaning? Does anyone have it installed on barrel tile roof panels? If so, how do you deal with mildew on the roof tiles?
I haven't heard of the panels themselves requiring any kind of maintenance. Though when I was looking the panel technology at the time is known to degrade in efficiency on producing electricity over time.

One thing which may or may not have been improved are the inverters used in the solar system. I was told to expect to have to replace these things after some years of use. I don't remember what the expected life span of these things are but they're not cheap to replace.
Appreciate 0