10-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
This dilemma has me at odds to be honest. While I want to play MW2 I can't ignore what they are doing. IW needs to back off and allow dedicated servers.

I don't plan on pre-ordering it anyways. So what I'll probably do is wait a few months to see how this all plays out before I purchase it just to play the SP. MP is all well and fine, but I lost interest in playing MP FPS games hardcore a long time ago. I still hop on a cod4 MP game every once in a while though.

The other side of this is that PC titles are becoming fewer and fewer as most developers move to consoles to avoid piracy. Granted this is probably IW's attempt to make a anti-piracy solution. But seeing the market shun it and boycott it is bad overall for PC gamers. And I personally refuse to resort to consoles. The controls are simply more crude and not nearly as accurate or fully encompassing. Sadly, most of the PC titles are going to be MMOs which are generally dumbed down and grind-fests now.

Hopefully, once console games get big enough the piracy will take over there too and drive developers back to PC.

The thing is, not including dedicated servers isn't doing anything against piracy. They are already doing steam activation, which is fine, I pay for games I like. But the only reason to move away from dedicated servers is to limit the modding and push through DLCs. It annoys me, I pay for DLCs. I'm their target audience. But I'm not saying goodbye to the community-based gameplay just so I can get charged $10 every few months for a new map that someone shit out. (Creek is the worst offender here)