Thread: PlayStation 5
View Single Post
      03-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #39
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Well...I wanted to chew on this for at least a day before making any conclusions. Here's my thoughts...

1) I'm pretty disappointed that the PS5 is less powerful than the XBox Series X. I understand that it may not matter in the real world, but still. Pretty obvious that the PS team was caught off guard with the XBSX specs. I don't think they expected it to be that powerful. Kudos to MS.

2) Was hoping to see final console and controller design but wasn't expecting it since this was just a spec reveal.

3) My understanding was that the PS5 would be backwards compatible all the way through PS1, now it seems like it's not even for all PS4 games (top 100). I understand that it's a work in progress (software updates) but XBSX is backwards compatible all the way back out of the box. Kudos MS.

4) Strange choice for storage amount (825GB). May be enough for some but not for most. I maxed out my 500GB storage (mostly because COD MW updates are massive and have to take up double the space for copying) and had to get an external drive and I only play three games (FIFA, COD, GT Sport) and games are only going to get bigger. Seems like the tech is proprietary which means getting extended storage might be expensive and not available right away.

5) Seems like the latency/input lag has been greatly reduced between controller and console. Also from console to TV but only if you own one of the latest TVs that have HDMI 2.1 support. Bummer.

6) Leaks suggested that two PS5 would launch simultaneously instead of doing PRO and Slim versions as a life cycle refresh. Doesn't seem like that's the case right now. This is just my FOMO acting up though.

7) This is only based on speculation and leaks but the developer unit design looked terrible, especially next to the clean and classy XBSX design (yes, I know it looks like a literal box). I can only hope that's not the final design of the PS5. Time will tell.

Only after I typed this out did I realize that most of my points are negative. I am slightly disappointed.
Still picking one up when it launches if I can find one but I'm not going out of my way to do so. I'm still on the OG PS4 so I'm sure this will be leaps and bounds faster and better than it.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by mirob; 03-19-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0