View Single Post
      12-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
If you have that shit in your closet then I'm guessing you most certainly need some cat7 cabling.
Well, right now Cat7 cabling is pretty useless. Before anyone jumps on me about this, hear me out. Right now 10GigE is the fastest network speed supported over Category cabling. Cat6 up to about 55 meters, Cat6a, and Cat7 all support 10GigE. The next speed up is 25GigE. There is no IEEE spec out that dictates 25GigE over Category cabling. 25GigE is a pretty recent Ethernet speed. But the older faster specs of 40Gig and 100Gig don't have any IEEE standard spec on running over Category cabling. Right now the only copper based cabling which supports 25GigE, 40GigE, and 100GigE are coaxial based copper cabling called Twinax/DACs. And the ends of these cabling terminate into transceiver type connectors: 25GigE uses SFP28, 40GigE uses QSFP+, and 100GigE uses QSFP28. Cat7 based on what I've read has been tested to support 40GigE up to 50meters and 100GigE up to 15meters. But again that was lab testing and there is no IEEE spec out nor any hardware manufacturers that have put out RJ45 based physical medium.

For my data center, the slowest connection between switches are 10Gig running over SFP+ DACs. I do have 2 twisted pair copper connections going between one switch in my data center to a 10Gig switch in my office running 10Gig in a LAG. All other connections between switches are 40Gig over QSFP+ DACs. My servers are also 40Gig attached. And I do have one switch which is 100Gig.
Appreciate 1