View Single Post
      12-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
My house was built in 2007 and I'm very thankful that the original buyer put in 2 x Cat5e and 1 x RG6 in every room. I run everything I can over gigabit ethernet and even go out of my way to buy devices that have ethernet like my smart TV and Roku. I also have some PoE cameras where I used a flat ethernet cable to run under the window frame to the outside. You don't really need to run a ton of lines to each room because if you need more ports like in an office, you can just daisy chain a $20 8 port gigabit switch.

It has been running rock solid for the past 12 years and I don't think wireless has caught up yet. I tested my laptop using iperf3 over an AC1750 router on the 5GHz band and it only got around 130 megabits. Also, the 2.4GHz band drops out every time I use my microwave.
While there's nothing wrong with running a switch off of a single GigE link to provide more GigE ports at a particular location, be aware you're sharing bandwidth/speed across all those devices to that one single GigE uplink. For many, this should not be a problem. This is why in business applications, multiple uplinks are grouped together as a single logical connection called a LAG (link aggregation group). LAGs provide more bandwidth but does not increase the speed of the connection. This is an important point which many IT professionals still get wrong. Many think grouping 8 1GigE connections into a LAG gives 8GigE. No. It gives 8Gigabits of bandwidth but no 8GigE speed.

Also you cannot connect more than 1 Ethernet connection to a switch that is not a managed switch. The reason is you'll introduce a switch loop which will in short order bring your network to its knees with infinite frame flooding. Even with managed switches on both ends, you have to either configure spanning tree or LAG to allow this to work.
Appreciate 2