View Single Post
      01-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #121
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why not 7 or 8? I ran 7, wasn't much more for a three story townhome, which didn't have any super long runs, but gg45 connectors work fine with all of my stuff.
If you feel you want to install Cat7, then it's your choice. I say Cat6a because the fastest Ethernet protocol running over Category/twisted pair copper is 10Gig. I have not seen any discussion or draft IEEE RFCs looking to create the next fastest tier speed to operate over twisted pair copper. So we don't know what the next spec will require in terms of physical wiring.

In addition, it took quite a few years for 1 Gig to become the main stream standard. 1 Gig is still plenty good for most home users. By the time 10Gig achieves the same main stream status as 1 Gig, it'll be many many years. But that's my own opinion.

So if I feel that 10 Gig will be some time out as something which is main stream, why bother installing Cat6 to Cat6a? Because it sets you up in the position where you have a choice and the move to 10 Gig would just be an equipment upgrade. Equipment upgrades are far easier to do than physical wiring upgrades.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00