View Single Post
      03-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #82
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

So. Since I'm trapped in my guest bedroom coughing my lungs out, here's a (sort of) short story.

Last year, I was coming up on a "triple-crown" of three events (within a year or two of each other): my 10-year wedding anniversary, my 50th birthday, and my Captain upgrade.

My wife wanted to get me a Sub or a GMT since I'd always sort of wanted one from back when I was on Active Duty in the AF (and boy, not buying a dozen GMT's at the AAFES in Germany in the mid 90's? Big mistake. Huge).

She liked the Air-King (which sort of made sense with me being a pilot), but the face was a little busy to me and I thought the whole tie-in with the Bloodhound SSC was sort of a gimmick.

I liked the Explorer from a picture I'd seen with it on a nylon strap but nobody near me had one in stock. Funnily enough, on a long layover, I wandered into an AD and they'd *just* put one out in the case that morning-- I looked at it, tried it on, tried to love it, but it just didn't grab me-- I wasn't much for the shiny bezel or grey face (it photographs much darker), and it felt a bit small for my wrist. So I passed on it (although I could have made a quick buck on it if I'd wanted to flip it). As soon as I decided against it, another guy bought it before the sales rep could even put it back in the case.

My wife and I continued to research and did a LOT of shopping around trying to find "my" watch-- IWC, Panerai, Muhle Glashutte, Omega, Tudor, yada yada. I actually spent time in Chile, Argentina, and a bunch of islands in the Caribbean looking around for something that caught my eye with no success.

We both kept coming back to a ceramic Sub No-Date (114060), but good luck finding one, as I had NO relationship with any AD's.

I looked around locally, and an AD an hour north of me put my name "on the list" with the expectation of 2-3 years before one came available.

Then, I just happened to stop by the AD nearest my house (go figure), since I needed to get some of my wife's jewelry repaired/cleaned/appraised and chatted with the sales rep. I told her my story and about how my wife wanted me to get a Sub No-Date, but that we couldn't find one anywhere. She took my name down, and I honestly never expected to hear from her as she said they *never* got SS Rolex's in stock.

Two weeks later? She calls. A ceramic no-date Sub came in and she'd talked to the owner, told him my story, and he said to call me to see if I wanted it. They were very interested in only selling to someone who would keep the watch and not flip it for a profit.

My wife and I went down, picked up the Sub, and then I had to wait a week to wear it while I waited for my Everest nylon strap to come in (I'm not a big fan of bracelets). The strap *completely* changes the look of the watch-- it's still a Sub, but it's more subtle and doesn't have the large ss bracelet that screams "Look at me- I'm a Rolex!".

So, now my watch collection is complete. I have a vintage Glycine Airman that was my father's in Viet Nam that has pride of place (it's a "true" 24 hour + GMT watch)-- it's a little small on my wrist now by current standards, but my father gifted it to me when I graduated pilot training and I wore it through every conflict and war I flew in for 27 years. The Sub is my "around home/date night" watch when I'm not on a bike or motorcycle. I've got a Sinn 856 UTC that is utterly and completely bombproof for when I'm flying (its casing is 5x harder than a Rolex), a Seiko Samurai dive watch that I've had down to 200', and an old titanium Skagen Quartz that weighs nothing, is worth nothing-- but it's handy to have a non-automatic occasionally.

My wife claims that with this whole virus thing, the Sub and the M2C are probably the only two things we have that might eventually appreciate!

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-27-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0