View Single Post
      11-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
motojoeN54
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Atl. Blu. Met. 335Xi Cpe

Does your Xi 6-speed transmission grind?

I’ve been waiting for years to buy my first BMW after a lifetime of owning and driving other performance cars and motorcycles. I’m trying to buy the perfect, ultimate all-rounder and so I test drove a brand new 09 335Xi 6M Coupe the other night. Not only did I not like the cup holder and was intensely disappointed by the toy-like Nav system, but I may have found the deal breaker in the shifter while moving up or down into 2nd gear. Every time I went from 1st or 3rd into 2nd, (and I did that a lot since I’m a real shifter-holic), I experienced a grinding catch. Yes, the clutch was all the way down every time. Granted, I’ve been spoiled by the snikity-snick shifter and brutish performance of my tuned ’97 Integra GS-R., but I purchased that car for $20K brand new 12 years ago, and it is the smoothest, most gratifying shifter I’ve ever driven. Now here’s this Ultimate Uber mark that will cost me over 53-large that has a trans that promises to drive me bonkers with constant frustration, should I decide to bite. So I’ve suspended my purchase plans until I hear from you guys. Does anyone out there have a 6-speed with this same sticky shifter behaviour? Are they ALL like this? Does the grinding catch smooth itself out and get better over time and mileage? Is there a fix? Incidentally, I absolutely refuse to get the auto with the piddle paddles. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited by motojoeN54; 11-27-2008 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Want to add "manual" to transmission question.
Appreciate 0