View Single Post
      11-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoeN54 View Post
I’ve been waiting for years to buy my first BMW after a lifetime of owning and driving other performance cars and motorcycles. I’m trying to buy the perfect, ultimate all-rounder and so I test drove a brand new 09 335Xi 6M Coupe the other night. Not only did I not like the cup holder and was intensely disappointed by the toy-like Nav system, but I may have found the deal breaker in the shifter while moving up or down into 2nd gear. Every time I went from 1st or 3rd into 2nd, (and I did that a lot since I’m a real shifter-holic), I experienced a grinding catch. Yes, the clutch was all the way down every time. Granted, I’ve been spoiled by the snikity-snick shifter and brutish performance of my tuned ’97 Integra GS-R., but I purchased that car for $20K brand new 12 years ago, and it is the smoothest, most gratifying shifter I’ve ever driven. Now here’s this Ultimate Uber mark that will cost me over 53-large that has a trans that promises to drive me bonkers with constant frustration, should I decide to bite. So I’ve suspended my purchase plans until I hear from you guys. Does anyone out there have a 6-speed with this same sticky shifter behaviour? Are they ALL like this? Does the grinding catch smooth itself out and get better over time and mileage? Is there a fix? Incidentally, I absolutely refuse to get the auto with the piddle paddles. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Yeah... I know what you mean.
While mine doesn't grind per say, the shift action is really poor.

My evo's shifts were WAY more solid.
Both the evo and the 335 have a notchy feeling when engaging, but the evo's shifter was pretty much set in stone. The evo had no wobble, and each gear gave firm feedback, letting you know that the gear is in and isn't moving anywhere.

But my honda has the best feeling shift I've ever had. I really wish that people would make transmissions that have action like my old 93 accord.
I can shift 1-2-3-4 in under a second (fully engaging each gear. [edit : redline 1st at start]), without letting off of the gas even once. I've never had another car that shifts as well. Gears just fall in. No resistance at all. No notchiness, no anything. Just fall in. The shifter isn't as firm/solid as the evo was, but it's no worse than the bmw.

My biggest issue with the BMW is that the transmission just won't engage easilly.
Sometimes I want to put it into 1st or reverse, and it just REFUSES to engage, no matter how hard I push.
I have to resort to putting it into another gear first (usually 2nd), only after that will 1st or reverse engage.
It's a real PITA, and I just can't shift fast because half the time the gears just catch and refuse to go in on the first try.
(not talking about grinding, there is 0 grinding. clutch all the way down. It just feels like it's hooking/snagging on crap and won't go in).

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0